Planning on a Canoe Camping Trip?
On the Whanganui River there are based a number of camping locations ideal for your 5 day trip down the river.
Spaced along the way are Department of Conservation (DOC) Huts and Camping Sites which can be booked directly with DOC.
The Huts and Campsites are well spaced on your journey and below is a table from the DOC website showing the links to the Huts and Campsites themselves and the distances between each.
- Cherry Grove, Taumarunui to Ohinepane campsite — 22 km
- Ohinepane to Poukaria campsite — 14 km
- Poukaria to Maharanui campsite — 17 km
- Maharanui to Whakahoro campsite — 4 km
- Whakahoro to Mangapapa campsite — 11 km
- Mangapapa to Ohauora campsite — 16 km
- Ohauora to John Coull Hut — 10.5 km
- John Coull Hut to Mangawaiiti campsite — 9.5 km
- Mangawaiiti to Mangapurua campsite — 9 km
- Mangapurua to Tīeke Kāinga — 10.5 km
- Tieke to Ngaporo campsite — 12.5 km
- Ngaporo to Pipiriki — 8 km
Below is the link to the DOC website where you can book the Huts or Camping Sites.
Contact Us at Owhango Adventures for more information about accommodation and transport options for your camping canoe trip.